The North Kurzeme Craft Consultation Centre or the House of Crafts – a branch of the Ventspils Museum – was founded with the financial support of the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) within the framework of the project “The Craft at the Coast of the Baltic Sea” as the South Priority under the Baltic Sea Region INTERREG III B Neighbourhood Programme. The House of Crafts opened its doors for visitors on August 3, 2007. The House of Crafts is located in the renovated oldest school building of the 18th century in Kurzeme Duchy. Now the building is turned into a contemporary object of culture and tourism, as well as an interesting place to visit for both inhabitants and guests of the city. It has a classroom arranged in the 19th century style open for visitation. By applying for visitation in advance you have the opportunity to take part in a lesson conducted in traditions of the 19th century. As from 1849 to 1851 one of the most popular Neo-Latvians and an excellent folklore specialist Krišjānis Barons studied in this building, which was a district school back then, a special memorial plaque to K. Barons, made by sculptor Gļebs Panteļejevs, was unveiled at one time with the opening of the Ventspils House of Crafts on August 3, 2007. The House of Crafts has a photo studio, a weaver workshop and a pottery, as well as a gift shop. In the House of Crafts different exhibitions dedicated to the art and craft topics, as well as cultural events take place on a regular basis.
The House of Crafts molips